What to Do After Buying a Used Car
There are many important steps to take after having purchased a car. That’s especially true if you’ve just bought a used car. What are the steps after buying a used car? Ideal Auto has the definitive guide on the subject for curious Bismarck area drivers just like you. Ready to learn more? Let’s get started on our list of important steps not to miss. Meanwhile, if you have questions as you read, contact us anytime online, or call 701-833-5995.
Steps to Take After Buying a Used Car
Here’s what to remember to do after buying a used vehicle in Minot:
- Get Insurance: Before you leave the dealership you’ll have to get the vehicle fully insured. You can’t legally drive any car home without a bound auto insurance policy. Want to get insurance before you head to the dealership? That’s also possible.
- Transfer the Title: One of the many good parts about buying a used car from a dealership is having them take care of this step.
- Register the Car: Dealerships usually handle getting the car registered, but you’ll need to visit the DMV yourself with the correct paperwork if you buy a used car from a private seller in Williston or New Town.
- Choose a Mechanic You Trust: Whether you buy from a dealer or private seller, you should have your used car of choice inspected by a trusted mechanic.
- Schedule Service: Make sure you take the vehicle to a reputable auto repair shop for any repairs that are deemed necessary or recommended by the pre-purchase inspection (PPI).
- Think About Getting an Extended Warranty: Extended warranties vary widely, so it’s important to research what options are the most sensible for you. Some warranties are only usable at certain auto shops, so be sure you know exactly what you’re paying for. Still, getting an extended warranty can be the difference between a large expense that sets off your budget and leaves you juggling bills vs. paying a smaller, pre-determined monthly payment for the assurance that should a covered repair arise, you will have to pay either nothing or only a small deductible.
- Review the Owner’s Manual: Nine times out of ten, people will skip this step. But familiarizing yourself with your vehicle and its needs can be especially helpful, and is recommended.
- Check for Recalls: New and used cars can have recalls issued for one or more of their mechanical or technological features. As a car owner, always keep an eye out for any recalls that might affect you.
Find Your Next Used Car at Ideal Auto!
Ready to find your next used car for sale in Minot? Ideal Auto is here to help! Check out our current used inventory now. Then, whenever you’re ready, feel free to consult with our finance center or apply for financing online.